- male chauvinism
- nounactivity indicative of belief in the superiority of men over women• Hypernyms: ↑sexism
* * *the beliefs, attitudes, or behavior of male chauvinists.[1965-70]
* * *male chauvinism noun• • •Main Entry: ↑male
* * *male chauvinism noun [uncountable]Thesaurus: equal rightssynonymMain entry: male chauvinist
* * *male chauvinism,excessive male pride or exaggerated loyalty to members of the male sex: »
Historically hampered by archaic laws and antique moral codes, European women…taking a cue from their more combative sisters across the Atlantic, have launched their attack on male chauvinism (Time).
* * *the belief held by some men that men are more important, intelligent, etc. than women
The profession remains a bastion of male chauvinism.See also: ↑chauvinism
Useful english dictionary. 2012.